How to Choose a Qualified Tax Preparer
It’s the time of the year when many taxpayers choose a tax preparer to help file a tax return. These taxpayers should choose their tax return preparer wisely. This is because taxpayers are responsible for all the information on their income tax return. That’s true no matter who prepares the return.
Here are TEN TIPS for taxpayers to remember when selecting a preparer:
1. Check the Preparer’s Qualifications.
2. Check the Preparer’s History.
3. Ask about Service Fees.
4. Ask to E-File.
5. Make Sure the Preparer is Available.
6. Provide Records and Receipts.
7. Never Sign a Blank Return.
8. Review before signing.
9. Ensure the Preparer Signs and Includes Their PTIN.
10. Report Abusive Tax Preparers to the IRS.